Thanks to the great work of many volunteers brought together by the Victory Garden Initiative, we now have five 8×4 foot raised planting beds in our back yard! Here’s a quick photo tour.
1) “Before” — the garden area was covered with weeds before work began today. Not pictured: the ten square yards of dirt we had brought in!
2) Planning. We figured out where the beds would be built and accordingly laid out the boards. A big pile of leaves is in the foreground.
3) People came from all over the Milwaukee area to volunteer: Bay View, Riverwest, Tosa, and South Milwaukee. Thanks to every one of you!
4) One bed done, four to go. The tall guy facing right on the right side is Zach of Blogging Blue.
5) Three beds are finished! People loaded soil into the beds. A layer of newspaper is on the bottom, with a second layer in the middle, and dirt is on top of that.
6) The beds are finished! Thank you to everyone who worked on them!!
I’ll have more written up on this in the next day or so. Huge thanks to everyone who helped — especially those whom I’ve never met before!
Big props to Stacie for making wonderful bread, dips, and sweet tea for the workers that day!