From the Victory Garden Initiative’s ineffable Bay View mobilizer Melissa Tashjian comes word of the Bay View community garden project, which will be created on the grounds of the Hide House in Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood. This gardens will be in the currently empty lot that is tucked in the upper-right side of this photograph:
Here’s Melissa’s message:
Well so far we have received a great response and overwhelming support for this community garden project. We have about 10-15 people confirmed for the meeting so I am sure everyone will see new faces among faces they already recognize. Below is a rough agenda of what we will be covering at this meeting. Our hope is that […] there will be some willing souls that would like to be project leaders or know of someone that would be a good fit for a particular role. Every level of support is appreciated even if it just participating at various work days or taking meeting notes. Upon reviewing this agenda, feel free to invite anyone that you think would be a good fit to be a project leader. All are welcome!
We will be meeting at Transfer Pizza (probably in the back or you can ask for the community garden group) at 6:30 on the 19th
We will be discussing and looking for team leaders for the following projects:
- Water Supply and Rain Collection Program
- Grant Writing Team
- Discussion of plot sizes, prices, and formal name of garden (to be finalized at meeting)
- Obtaining Garden Materials (gardening tools, dirt, raised bed materials, seed, etc)
- Create a time and date to flyer the immediate neighborhood of Hide House
- Marketing and/or PR team
- Creating Rules of Community Garden
- Obtain Compost Material (secure “brown donor, and materials for compost frame)
- Beautification (flowers and artist participation)
- School Plots & Volunteers
- Church Plots & Volunteers (possibly can be same team as school plots)
- Food Pantry Plots and Volunteers
- Garden Mapping
I know there is a lot of stuff on this agenda but the growing season will be here before you know it. As a community we will be able to knock out these items fairly quickly. I look forward to everyone’s participation. This is going to be soooooo much fun!!!
Victory Garden Iniatitive
Bay View Mobilizer
I will be helping a little bit with this. I’ve long wished to have the space outside Hide House made into gardens, so we must hail Melissa and Sig Strautmani of General Capital Group for making this possible.